Wednesday, 01 April 2009

A learning experience.

So I went to Eugene, Oregon last week to visit a good ol' friend of mine. He moved there last year to go to a small liberal arts school (approx. 50 students). I, having a passion for coffee, beer, evergreen trees and mountains, assumed that I would absolutely love the place.

To make a devastatingly short story even shorter. Don't go to Eugene. 'Why?' you ask. Don't ask. 'Why?' you persist. Well, the place is overrun with hippies. Tons, and tons and tons of hippies. enough said.

I would like to dedicate the conclusion of this post to my beloved home. Two hours of Midwestern KC air cured any jet lag from my overnight travels.

Oh Kansas City, fairest of all;
Lead me home to your ever-flowing cisterns.
You are named the City of Fountains, but due not to fountains.
For the Fountain of Youth which men of old sought near and far,
The very object of their pursuits is what you are.

7 comments:

matt said...

Kansas City - second best city in America.

Unknown said...

Single tear.

You put into words my own feelings for this great city.

Anonymous said...

What a minute... You made seemingly disparaging remarks about hippies. Why there might be some irony in them words.

derek said...

WRONG! to the first and third comments. firstly, matt, you are confused, unless you mean that raytown is the best. which is truly debatable.

Next, There is absolutely no irony, only confusion as to the definitions of hippies. If what you and occasionally others mean is that I somehow resemble these creatures, how untrue and ignorant. whatever traits I carry such as listening to Yes, Jimi Hendrix or once owning a volkswagon vanagon, these are entirely distinguishable from the true characteristics of hippies. I summarize this in a borrowed quote from my brother's blog citing a modern day prophet;

"Hippies! They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad. I hate hippies! I mean, the way they always talk about "protectin' the earth" and then drive around in cars that get poor gas mileage and wear those stupid bracelets - I hate 'em! I wanna kick 'em in the nuts!" - Eric Cartman

SQLFunkateer said...

High five!

matt said...

Derek..New York City.

Number one in the land. Sorry KC. Guess my dirty little secret is out now.

matt said...

"...once owning a volkswagon vanagon..."

I completely forgot about this. The memory of this just makes me giddy.