Monday, 23 February 2009

U2















So, I'm depressed. And I think you can guess the reason why. I mean, it's different from your childhood favorite athlete getting convicted for sketchy child business, sure. It's even different from Kyle and Stan's dilemma with Indiana Jones and Spielberg. So, alright, you win. Not that big of a deal.

But COME ON, BONO!!!! You were fresh, incredible, perhaps revolutionary some say. Why must you continue to make records... especially records that are far below your standard. Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, Seconds, Exit, Bullet the Blue Sky, Zoo Station, and the hailed Where the streets have no name... Do you not remember these songs!? Granted. I was born the year that they pretty much reached their apex. They would continue to grow in popularity until this very day, but future albums mostly sold (I believe) due to success of previous ones. (it's a familiarity issue us humans have)

So I listened to this song that's going to be on their new record. And I'm not usually a music critic, but I almost threw up a little in my mouth when I listened to this. I feel like I'm listening to the musical version of walking into the Gap and someone saying, "we're going green! swipe your credit card for these clothes and its the equivalent of feeding 10 families in Africa." Or maybe something like that. Anyhow, I'm still not doing justice to the criticism that the song deserves. I'm just saying, you thought their last new album was bad? Juuust wait. And I will refrain from commenting about Bono's proclamation that Obama getting elected was the true fulfillment of MLK's dream. I may never be able to listen to 'Pride' again.

I'm a snobby, crabby bastard with too many things going good for me that I have to complain about some rock icon with my time. God help me.

1 comment:

SQLFunkateer said...

Bono is not a musician. He's a dippy Irish prat that managed to hang around a musically talented trio that lacked much singing talent. Lucky break for him. If not for that the man would be doing the same thing he is now...expounding his vapid, shallow theories of world peace, except instead of doing so from a microphone or recording studio, it would be on a neglected, ignored blog, or behind a rented megaphone at an A.N.S.W.E.R. rally.

Politics tends to demean music in most circumstances. You need to get down with some Bootsy. I cannot recommend "Bootsy's Rubber Band - Live in Louisville 1978" highly enough.